Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

My child got married



Your married or unmarried child is covered under your Self Plus One (if they are your designated covered family) or Self and Family enrollment until his/her 26th birthday. However, your child's spouse and/or children are not covered.

Dental or Vision

Once your child is married, he/she cannot be covered as an eligible dependent under your FEDVIP enrollment.

If you have him/her listed as your "One" under a Self Plus One enrollment or under your Self and Family enrollment, you must remove him or her from your FEDVIP enrollment immediately through your BENEFEDS account. However, even if you do not remove him/her from your account, he/she is not covered and you are responsible for any benefits paid in error on his/her behalf.

If the marriage means your coverage should now be a Self Only or Self Plus One enrollment, you can decrease your enrollment type from 31 days before to 60 days after your child's marriage as a Qualifying Life Event at Don't miss these dates, or you will have to wait until the next Federal Benefits Open Season to make the change and may be paying a higher premium for coverage you cannot use.

If you do not have access to a computer, call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.


Your child is no longer eligible. A "family member" is defined as an unmarried dependent.

Flexible Spending Accounts

This event does not allow you to enroll in FSAFEDS or change a current election.

Long Term Care

This does not affect their eligibility to apply or their coverage (if already enrolled).

Control Panel