Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

I'm returning as a reemployed annuitant in the Federal Government



You are enrolled in FEHB as an annuitant:

If you are reemployed in Federal service in a position that conveys FEHB eligibility, you may have the opportunity to participate in premium conversion. If you participate in premium conversion, your enrollment can be transferred from your Retirement System to your employing agency. Your FEHB premiums will be deducted from your pay on a pre-tax basis as an employee not from your annuity. When you separate from reemployment, your retirement system will transfer in your enrollment.

Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for more information on reemployed annuitants and premium conversion.

You are not enrolled in FEHB as an annuitant:

If you become reemployed in a position that conveys FEHB eligibility, you may enroll the same as any other new employee. You can continue your enrollment after separation from reemployment if you meet all the requirements that any other retiring employee must meet. The immediate annuity requirement is met if you receive a supplemental annuity when you separate from the reemployment.

You can find additional information on reemployed annuitants on our website.

Dental or Vision

If you are enrolled in FEDVIP as an annuitant and you are returning to work in a position in which you are eligible for FEDVIP, you must contact BENEFEDS (1-877-888-3337), if you want your premiums to be deducted from your paychecks. Most reemployed annuitants want to make that change because retirees pay FEDVIP premiums with post-tax dollars and employees pay FEDVIP premiums with pre-tax dollars. If your new position is not eligible for FEDVIP you may retain the coverage as an annuitant.

If you are not already enrolled in FEDVIP, you may enroll as a newly hired/newly eligible employee within 60 days after you start your new position. Enroll at or by contacting BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.


If you are reemployed under conditions that terminate your annuity, the life insurance you carried as an annuitant is also terminated. There is no right to convert. You can get life insurance as an employee, as long as you are not in an excluded position. Note: An annuity that is suspended is not considered to be terminated.

If you are reemployed and your annuity continues and the position is FEGLI eligible, the Basic insurance you carried as an annuitant is suspended. If enrolled in Option A and Option C, those coverages you carried as an annuitant are also suspended. You automatically get Basic just like any other employee. You automatically get Option A and Option C insurance as an employee, if enrolled.

Option B is handled differently from Basic, Option A, and Option C.

When you have Option B as an annuitant and are reemployed in a position that does not exclude coverage, you must be given the opportunity within 60 days of reemployment to choose whether to keep Option B as an annuitant or have it as an employee.

Please refer to the FEGLI Handbook for all the details on the actions you and your agency need to take regarding your FEGLI coverage as a reemployed annuitant. It is important that the OPM Retirement Office is notified of your reemployment.

Flexible Spending Accounts

You may be able to enroll in an FSAFEDS health care flexible spending account and/or dependent care account or change your current election(s) from 31 days before the event to 60 days after the event (if your agency participates in FSAFEDS). For the health care account, you must also be eligible to enroll in the FEHB Program. Your requested change must be consistent with the event and you cannot enroll or increase your election(s) after October first (you would have to wait until Open Season).

Go to and click on "Qualifying Life Event" or call FSAFEDS at 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), TTY: 1-800-952-0450 to discuss possible options.

Long Term Care

This will not affect your FLTCIP coverage. Your coverage will remain in effect as long as you continue to pay premiums. But if you pay your premiums through annuity deduction, you will need to contact Long Term Care Partners at 1-800-LTCFEDS (1-800-582-3337) to make other billing arrangements. In most cases, you can have your premiums deducted from your salary if you wish.

If you are not enrolled in FLTCIP, as a new reemployed annuitant you can apply for coverage within 60 days of your reemployment using the Abbreviated Underwriting Application. You can apply at any time using the Full Underwriting Application.

Control Panel