Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

I would like to have state taxes withheld from my retirement monthly payment. How do I accomplish this?

State tax withholding cannot be withheld from interim annuity payments.  If you are in interim pay (your case has not been finalized), contact your State tax office for guidance.

Once your annuity is finalized, you must specify the dollar amount of State tax you want withheld from your monthly payments. The withholding must be in whole dollars. The minimum amount we can withhold for State income tax is $5. Use Services Online to start, change, or stop the State tax withheld from your annuity payment.

You can also call us or write us to change your withholding amount.  If you write, your letter should include your full name, your claim number and the monthly amount in dollars you want withheld.

If you do not know the monthly amount you want withheld, contact your State tax office for information or assistance.

Not all States participate in the voluntary State tax withholding program.  Check our list of State tax offices for information about participating States.

If your State does not participate, contact the State tax office for information or assistance.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.