Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Benefits for LGBT Federal Employees and Annuitants

What same-sex domestic partner benefits are available under Government-wide programs administered by OPM?

Same-sex couples who are in a civil union or other forms of domestic partnership other than marriage are ineligible for most benefits. There are two big exceptions. 

The Federal Long-Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) allows those individuals who satisfy the same-sex domestic partnership standard to be treated as qualifying relatives for Federal employees and annuitants. 

Also, employees may elect at retirement an insurable interest annuity for anyone, including domestic partners or partners to a civil union, as long as they can show they are in good health and the people designated for this benefit can show that they have an insurable interest in the continued life of the employee. An insurable interest annuity is a different survivor benefit from a spousal survivor annuity benefit, so be aware that an insurable interest annuity provides a different level of benefits than a survivor annuity for a legal spouse. 

Please note that information regarding eligibility for benefits can change, and you should consult the web pages of the individual benefits programs for the most current information. 

In addition, please note that travel and relocation benefits available to same-sex domestic partners are outside of Title 5 and are administered by the General Services Administration, not the Office of Personnel Management.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.