Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

My child is in school and isn’t living with me anymore. Can she still be covered under my FEHB plan?

Your child is covered under your Self and Family enrollment until age 26. There is no ‘live with’ requirement other than for foster children.  If you are enrolled in an HMO, your child will only be covered for emergency care while outside the HMO’s service area.  If your child is living outside your HMO’s service area, you may want to change to an FEHB plan that provides coverage both where your child is living and where the rest of your family is living.  Your plan brochure describes your HMO’s service area.  You can download your plan brochure by clicking on your state.

Foster children must live with you and meet all of the requirements below:

  • the child must be under age 26;
  • the employee must be the primary source of financial support for the child;
  • the parent-child relationship must be with the enrollee, not the child's biological parent; and
  • the employee must expect to raise the child into adulthood.

You must sign a certification stating that your foster child meets all the requirements. Contact your agency or Retirement System for more information.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.