Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

I've acquired a new family member



When you have a change in family status, including a change in marital status, you may enroll, increase your enrollment, or change from one plan or option to another. You must submit your enrollment change from 31 days before to 60 days after the change in family status.

If you have a Self and Family enrollment, you do not need to complete a new Health Benefits Election Form (SF 2809). You must contact your health plan directly to inform them of the new family member.If you have a Self Plus One enrollment the addition of a new eligible family member does not allow you to switch your covered family member. You may increase enrollment to Self and Family in order to cover all of your eligible family members.  If your health plan questions whether someone is an eligible family member, the health plan may ask you or your Human Resources or Retirement Office for more information. The FEHB Handbook provides detailed information on who are eligible family members.

You can find more information about adding new family members in the FEHB Handbook.

Your Human Resources office or your Retirement Office can give you additional details about family member eligibility, including any certification or documentation that may be required for coverage.

Dental or Vision

Acquiring an eligible family member is a Qualifying Life Event for enrollees in the Federal Employees Dental and Vision Insurance Program (FEDVIP).

If you already have a Self and Family enrollment, log into your BENEFEDS account at and add your new spouse or child to your enrollment. It's best to do this immediately, so there won't be any delay in claims or services.

If you have a Self Only or Self Plus One enrollment and would like to add your new spouse or child, you have a limited time period to change to a Self Plus One or Self and Family enrollment. You can do so from 31 days before to 60 days after acquiring your new spouse or child as a "Qualifying Life Event" at Don't miss these dates, or you will have to wait until the next Federal Benefits Open Season to make the change.

If you do not have access to a computer, call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.


An employee who experiences a FEGLI qualifying life event, including the acquisition of an eligible child, has 60 days from the date of the event to elect Basic, plus any or all Optional insurance: Option A, Option B (up to the maximum of 5 multiples with no restrictions), and Option C (up to the maximum with no restrictions). Each Option C multiple equals $5,000 in coverage for a spouse and $2,500 for each eligible dependent child.

Acquisition of an eligible child includes:

  1. A child who is born to the insured;
  2. The insured's adoption of a child;
  3. The insured's acquisition of a foster child;
  4. The insured's stepchild or recognized natural child moving in with the insured;
  5. An otherwise eligible child's marriage dissolves by divorce or annulment, or his or her spouse dies;
  6. The insured gains custody of an eligible child.

Please refer to the FEGLI Handbook for more information.

Flexible Spending Accounts

You may be able to enroll in an FSAFEDS health care flexible spending account and/or dependent care account or change your current election(s) from 31 days before the event to 60 days after the event (if your agency participates in FSAFEDS). For the health care account, you must also be eligible to enroll in the FEHB Program. Your requested change must be consistent with the event and you cannot enroll or increase your election(s) after October first (you would have to wait until Open Season).

Go to and see "Qualifying Life Event" or call FSAFEDS at 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), TTY: 1-800-952-0450 to discuss possible options.

Long Term Care

If you are newly married, your new spouse can apply for FLTCIP coverage within 60 days after your marriage using the Abbreviated Underwriting Application. After 60 days, your new spouse can still apply but must use the Full Underwriting Application. Minor children are not eligible to apply for coverage.

Control Panel