Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

I've gained/lost coverage under my spouse



If you and all your eligible family members gain other coverage under FEHB or another group insurance plan, you may cancel your FEHB. If you are in Self Plus One or Self and Family, you may change to Self Only if a family member gains other coverage and this causes you to be the only person covered under your enrollment. If you are in Self and Family, you may change to Self Plus One if you only have one eligible family member remaining on your enrollment. Once the other coverage is gained, you have 60 days to make your change.

If you are an employee eligible for FEHB coverage, you may enroll or change your enrollment from Self Only to Self Plus One or a Self and Family, from one plan or option to another, or make any combination of these changes when you or an eligible family member lose coverage under FEHB or any other group health benefits plan (including another Federally-sponsored health benefits program or Medicaid). You must enroll or change your enrollment within the period beginning 31 days before and ending 60 days after the loss of coverage. You can also change your premium conversion status if the enrollment change is on account of and consistent with a qualifying life event.

As an annuitant, you do not participate in premium conversion  (pre-tax payemt of premiums). Therefore, you may change your enrollment from Self Plus One or Self and Family to Self Only at any time.


Please Note: When you cancel your FEHB enrollment as an annuitant, you will never be able to reenroll unless you had suspended it to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan, TRICARE, TRICARE for Life, CHAMPVA, health insurance coverage obtained as a Peace Corps volunteer, or Medicaid, for which you had furnished proof of eligibility.

You can find more information in the FEHB Handbook.

Dental or Vision

If you gain other dental and/or vision insurance coverage under your spouse, you can cancel your FEDVIP coverage during the next Federal Benefits Open Season.

If you lose other dental insurance coverage, you may enroll in a FEDVIP dental plan. If you lose other vision insurance coverage you may enroll in a FEDVIP vision plan within 60 days after the effective date of the loss of coverage as a "Qualifying Life Event". Do not miss these dates, or you will have to wait until the next Federal Benefits Open Season to enroll.

If you do not have access to a computer, call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.


This is not a qualifying life event under the FEGLI Program that allows you to elect new or increase existing coverage.

Flexible Spending Accounts

This event does not allow you to enroll in FSAFEDS or change a current election.

Long Term Care

You can apply for coverage under the FLTCIP at any time using the Full Underwriting Application; there's no need to wait for an Open Season, and you do not need to experience a Qualifying Life Event.

Control Panel