Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

My child got divorced



Your child, married or unmarried, is covered until age 26 under your Self and Family enrollment.

For more information visit eligible family members.

Dental or Vision

Your dependent child is now eligible to be covered as a dependent under your FEDVIP enrollment, if he/she is dependent on you for financial support.

If you already have a Self and Family enrollment, log into your BENEFEDS account at and add your child to your enrollment as an eligible dependent. It's best to do this immediately, so there won't be any delay in claims or services.

If you have a Self Only or Self Plus One enrollment and would like to add your child, you have a limited time period to change to a Self Plus One or Self and Family enrollment. You can do so from 31 days before to 60 days after the date of divorce as a "Qualifying Life Event" at Don't miss these dates, or you will have to wait until the next Federal Benefits Open Season to make the change.

If you do not have access to a computer, call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.


Your child's eligibility is reinstated until age 22.

Flexible Spending Accounts

This event does not allow you to enroll in FSAFEDS or change a current election.

Long Term Care

This does not affect their eligibility to apply or their coverage (if already enrolled).

Control Panel