Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

My child is in school and isn't living with me anymore



Your child is still covered until age 26. If you are enrolled in an HMO and your child moves out of the HMO's service area, you may change your enrollment to another FEHB plan.

If your stepchild or foster child temporarily lives elsewhere while attending school or for other reasons, the child is still considered to be an eligible family member if he/she is otherwise living with you in a regular parent-child relationship. Your stepchild or foster child who lives with you at least 6 months of a year under a court order directing shared custody may be considered living with you in a regular Parent-Child Relationship.

See our website for more information.

Dental or Vision

Your unmarried dependent child under age 22 who is attending school and not living in your household, but is dependent on you for financial support is still an eligible dependent as the "One" under your Self Plus One enrollment or your Self and Family enrollment.


Your child is still covered up to age 22.

Flexible Spending Accounts

Call FSAFEDS at 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), TTY: 1-800-952-0450 to discuss possible options.

Long Term Care

This does not affect their eligibility to apply or their coverage (if already enrolled).

Control Panel