Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

During my employment with Federal Government I was on a temporay assignment for a period of time. I understand I can "pay back" what was not paid in during this time frame. How do I pay back this portion of time so I can obtain full credit for all my service time. Who do I contact. Please advise as soon as possible.

Your question does not state whether you are CSRS or FERS, but assuming you are FERS, you should apply to make a payment by completing a Standard Form 3108 (Application to Make Service Credit Payment/FERS). You must begin the application process as an employee. Once you begin the application process as an employee, you may continue to make payments even after you separate as long as the separation is not for retirement.

Send your completed application to your department or agency because they must certify it. Please do not file an application if you plan to retire within six months. OPM will give you an opportunity to make payment when it computes your annuity.

If you are within six months of retirement, submit your request to make the deposit or redeposit at the same time you submit your application for retirement. We will notify you of any amounts due so you can decide whether or not to make the payment. We cannot, however, authorize your regular annuity payments until we have your decision about the payment.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Submit a question

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.