Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

As a soon to be retired Federal employee in FERS I was putting together all my federal service and I realized that I had spent a short period of time with the USPS as a Christmas Casual in the early 70's and I also worked a job around 1977-78 under a government program called CETA (Comprehensive Employment and Training Act). I was wondering if it would be possible to "buy back" any of this time,if eligible, toward my retirement and if so how does one go about acquiring information so dated. My personnelist is asking for documents which I no longer have, if I ever did?

Full calendar time credit is given for service as a Temporary (Casual) Christmas postal employee, as for part-time flexible service. Time actually worked is used only if full calendar time is uncertain.

CETA service is generally not creditable because it is usually an appointment with a State or Local entity. But, if it is performed for the DC Government, it is creditable and subject to deposit (i.e. buyback).

If you need strategies on locating old personnel records, the HR at your agency would probably be the best place to start.  You are also free to contact the Retirement Office at (888) 767-6738 or The phone lines are open from 7:40 am to 5:00 pm (Eastern Standard Time).

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Submit a question

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.