Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

I was put in FERS by mistake. When my agency discovered the error, they let me choose whether I wanted to stay in FERS. Do I get another choice under FERCCA?

No, you don't get a second choice.

Certain employees who were put in FERS by mistake could choose to stay in FERS when the agency discovered the error. We call this a "deemed FERS election". If they declined FERS, the agency placed them in the correct retirement plan (CSRS, CSRS Offset, or Social Security only). If you already had this opportunity to choose between FERS and CSRS, CSRS Offset, or Social Security-only; then FERCCA does not give you an opportunity to change your decision.

FERCCA may help you, however. If you worked for the Government before you came under a retirement plan, you may be able to get retirement credit for that service by taking an actuarial reduction in your retirement benefit instead of having to pay a deposit. The same may be true for any military service you have. See the questions under the heading Service Credit for more information.

Also, if you were in FERS for at least 3 years of service before your agency gave you an opportunity to stay in FERS or have your records corrected, OPM may compensate you for any out-of-pocket expenses you incurred because of the error. See the questions under the heading Out of Pocket Claims for more information.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.