Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

Can I provide a survivor benefit for my ex-wife or ex-husband?

If your marriage ends after retirement, you can elect a reduced annuity to provide a survivor benefits for your former spouse. To make an election, you must notify us in writing within two years of the date the marriage ended. You should include a court-certified copy of the decree effecting the dissolution of the marriage, and any property or marital settlement agreement. See where to send the court order.

If you were married to the former spouse when you retired and he or she consented to an election of less than the maximum survivor benefit, you cannot provide a benefit that is larger than your original election. The calculation of the reduction in your annuity to provide the benefit for an ex-spouse is the same as the reduction for a benefit for a spouse.

When you contact us, we will send you a statement describing the cost of the election and ask you to confirm your election.

If you are electing to provide a survivor annuity for an ex-spouse and you remarried, your current spouse must consent to the election.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.