Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

I worked for a number of years during which I should have been paying into Social Security, but I only paid into CSRS. Can I get any Social Security credit for that work? And, if so, how much will it cost me?

You will get Social Security credit for all that work, and it won't cost you anything. Your agency will send the Social Security Administration a record of your earnings during all the years you should have had Social Security coverage. All of the CSRS contributions you made during those years that are not needed to cover your retirement costs will be transferred to Social Security. This transfer will pay all the Social Security taxes you owe.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.