Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Classification

What should I do before I appeal the classification of my position or grading of my job?

First, you should make sure your position or job description identifies the major duties and responsibilities you are assigned and perform. Because your agency is responsible for assigning duties to your position, including them in your position description (PD), and classifying them accordingly, OPM will normally not accept a GS appeal until your agency has fulfilled this responsibility.

If the position or job description is significantly inaccurate, you should try to resolve the problem by discussing it with your supervisor and perhaps a representative of your human resources office. If you are unable to resolve the problem at this level, you should use your agency's negotiated or administrative grievance procedure. If you are unable to obtain an accurate position description through the grievance procedure, we may accept your appeal and determine the proper classification based on the duties assigned by management and performed by you. Information on what OPM expects an employee to do to resolve PD accuracy before filing a GS appeal can be found in section 511.607(a)(1) if title 5, Code of Federal Regulations and the Introduction to the Position Classification Standards, Appendix 4.G.4.a.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.