Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Classification

I am, or used to be, a Federal employee. Where can I find my series and grade?

The Standard Form 50 (SF-50), Notification of Personnel Action, contains your series, grade, and other information useful to you or required if applying for reinstatement. Refer to box 9 and/or 17 for the series or "Occ. Code." Box 10 and/or 18 provides the grade.

If you do not have a copy of your last SF-50, you can obtain it from the National Personnel Records Center of the National Archives and Records Administration. Civilian personnel records are normally transferred to the National Personnel Records Center within 120 days after an employee's separation from Federal employment. To obtain copies of your SF-50s, send written authorization to:

National Personnel Records, Annex
1411 Boulder Boulevard
Valmeyer, IL 62295

Your request should contain, at a minimum, the following information:

  • Full name used during your Federal employment
  • Date of Birth
  • Social Security Number
  • Name of your employing Federal agency
  • Approximate beginning and ending dates of your employment
  • Identify the documents needed and explain the purpose of your request

Finally, be sure to SIGN YOUR LETTER. No information will be released without a signed request. For more information, please visit their website at: 

If the records center does not have your records, or you have left Federal Employment within the last 120 days, contact your previous agency's human resources office.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.