Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Pay & Leave

My supervisor placed me on leave restriction 3 months ago and said I must call him at least 2 hours before the beginning of my shift if I cannot be at work that day. In addition, I must provide medical documentation for each unscheduled absence. Earlier this month I hurt my back, and my doctor certified that my condition qualifies as a chronic serious health condition under the Family and Medical Leave Act. My agency agreed to give me intermittent leave under the FMLA, but my supervisor says I must still follow the conditions of the letter of restriction. Is this legal?

When the need for leave is foreseeable, an employee must give 30 days notice of his or her intent to take FMLA leave. When the need for leave is not foreseeable, an employee must provide notice as soon as is practicable. In addition, an agency may require an employee on leave for a serious health condition to provide initial medical certification and recertification every 30 calendar days. If the health care provider has specified on the initial medical certification a minimum duration of the period of incapacity, the agency may not request recertification until that period has passed unless other conditions arise that permit the agency to require recertification more frequently. (See 5 CFR 630.1207(h)(2)(i).)

An agency's policies or procedures for notification of FMLA leave or medical certification may not be more stringent than required by OPM's regulations. If an employee who has been placed on leave restriction invokes his or her entitlement to FMLA leave, the agency must follow OPM's rules for notification and medical certification of FMLA leave.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.