Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Insurance

I am a Federal retiree. How do I cancel or reduce my FEGLI life insurance coverage?

If you are a retiree, you can cancel or reduce your FEGLI life insurance at any time. There is no form; you must mail a signed letter to OPM's Retirement Office at:

U.S. Office of Personnel Management
Retirement Operations Center
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017-0045

The Letter must state:

  • Your full name
  • Your address
  • Your retirement claim number (CSA) or Social Security Number (SSN)
  • Exactly what coverage you want to cancel or reduce (Basic, Option a, Option B and/or Option C)
  • You must hand sign the letter
  • You should also note that you understand you cannot increase or reinstate your coverage after this change is made.
  • Control Panel

    Unexpected Error

    There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

    Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.