Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Retirement

How do I get a refund of my Federal or state tax withholdings?

OPM can refund Federal and/or state income tax withholding ONLY for the current year.  To request a refund, you can email us at or call us at 1-888-767-6738.  Remember to provide your CSA or CSF claim number or full SSN. 
We can issue a refund of the monies withheld in the current year ONLY. 

If you want a partial reimbursement, let us know the exact amount (no percentage) AND provide the exact period (for example 5/10/2011 to 12/31/2011).  Normally, the refund is issued as a separate payment.

We cannot refund tax withholding for previous tax years.   

To request a refund of your withholdings for previous tax years, please contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 for Federal tax withholding refund and your State Revenue Office for state tax withholding refund.  If we are not currently withholding State tax, you must call your State Tax office for a refund.  Find  your State Revenue Office here

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.