Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Employment

Are there readily available applicant pools for readers, interpreters and personal assistants?

Yes. There are many potential sources which may be tapped. In many cases, an employee with a disability already has a candidate in mind.

Some agencies hire such assistants under contractual arrangements. Universities and colleges, including junior colleges, are good sources for readers, who are often part-time. For interpreters, the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, Inc. can be reached at 703-838-0030. In the Washington, DC area, Gallaudet University is another source for interpreters. State vocational rehabilitation agencies and offices of the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service in the Department of Veterans Affairs are also possible sources of reader, interpreter and personal assistant referrals.
Agencies may also appoint readers, interpreters, and personal assistants without regard to the normal competitive hiring regulations and processes. Such employees may be appointed directly under an excepted hiring authority without job postings, etc., after identifying an appropriate candidate (5 CFR 213.3102 (ll). For more information and sample language for utilizing this authority, see Attachment B in Practical Advice For Drafting And Implementing Reasonable Accommodation Procedures Under Executive Order 13164 located on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s website.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.