Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Employment

If I need an interpreter, reader or personal assistant, how do I obtain one?

There are many potential sources for interpreters, readers and personal assistants. You should consult with your supervisor and/or your Personnel Office about the assistance you need. They will work with you to identify a candidate to meet your needs by using contractual staff to meet a temporary need such as a job interview or by hiring such an employee for a permanent need. In appropriate instances, agencies can hire interpreters, readers or personal assistants directly without the formal job announcement and recruitment process used for many jobs in the Government. Such employees may be appointed directly under an excepted hiring authority without job postings, etc., after identifying an appropriate candidate (5 CFR 213.3102 (ll). For more information and sample language for utilizing this authority, see Attachment B in Practical Advice For Drafting And Implementing Reasonable Accommodation Procedures Under Executive Order 13164 located on the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s website.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.