Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government.

Frequently Asked Questions Employment

Where can I obtain a needs assessment to respond to a request for accommodation and what resources are available for such an assessment?

A needs assessment may be obtained from several sources. A few are:

  • your own agency, in conjunction with its reasonable accommodation policy created in compliance with Executive Order 13164,
  • the Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) in the Department of Defense,
  • State vocational rehabilitation agencies,
  • the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs,
  • the Job Accommodation Network (JAN), sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor or
  • the Centers for Independent Living (CILs).
Other sources of needs assessment depend on the organization that refers or places an applicant with a disability. For example, if the applicant is referred to you by the Workforce Recruitment Program (WRP), it is likely that someone from that program will arrange the needs assessment with the Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) in the Department of Defense. If you are hiring a client of the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Service of the Department of Veterans Affairs, those offices may perform needs assessments. Centers for Independent Living (CILs) offer information about needs assessment and accommodation services. CILs also often maintain rosters of persons available to serve as personal care attendants, interpreters for individuals who are hearing impaired, or readers for people with visual impairments. State vocational rehabilitation agencies funded under the Rehabilitation Act, private vocational rehabilitation companies, and nonprofit organizations also provide needs assessments.

Federal employers also may obtain additional guidance on providing reasonable accommodation from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Free copies of the EEOC's published guidance on reasonable accommodation and other issues pertaining to non-discrimination against people with disabilities may be reviewed at EEOC’s website and obtained by calling (800) 669-3362 (voice), and (800) 800-3302 (TTY).

Other resources for technology-related technical assistance and accommodation assessment are:

    • the Center for Information Technology Accommodation at the Office of Government-Wide Policy at the General Services Administration,
    • U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board ("Access Board");
    • the Assistive Technology Program at the U.S. Department of Education,
    • the TARGET Center at the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and
    • the Computer/Electronic Accommodations Program (CAP) at the Department of Defense.

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.