Click here to skip navigation
An official website of the United States Government -

Frequently Asked Questions Personnel Documentation

What goes in my Official Personnel Folder?

Your Official Personnel Folder contains records the Government needs to make accurate employment decisions throughout your Federal career.

These documents:

  • Show your Federal appointment was valid (Examples: the Appointment Affidavit; the Declaration for Federal Employment).
  • Verify your military service credit for leave, reduction-in-force, or retirement (Examples: the DD 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty; the Military Service Deposit Election).
  • Establish your employment history - your grades, occupations and pay (Example: the Standard Form 50, Notification of Personnel Action).
  • Record your choices under Federal benefits programs (Examples: the Health Benefits Registration Form; the Designation of Beneficiary under the Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance Program).

Check Chapter 3 of The Guide to Personnel Recordkeeping PDF File [588KB] for more detailed information on what goes into the Official Personnel Folder.

Can’t find what you’re looking for? Submit a question

Control Panel

Unexpected Error

There was an unexpected error when performing your action.

Your error has been logged and the appropriate people notified. You may close this message and try your command again, perhaps after refreshing the page. If you continue to experience issues, please notify the site administrator.