Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Life Events
Skip to main content

My child has become a Federal employee



With two exceptions explained below, your child under age 26 is covered under your Self Plus One (if they are listed as the designated covered family member) or Self and Family enrollment. Because no person can receive benefits under more than one FEHB enrollment, your child may not have his or her own FEHB enrollment (or must cancel his/her enrollment using form SF 2809 if they erroneously enrolled). Be sure that your child's agency puts this as the reason for your child's cancellation in the 'remarks' section of the SF 2809. When your child turns 26, this will be a Qualifying Life Event allowing your child to re-enroll in the FEHB program. If you are enrolled in Self Plus One, this QLE will also allow you to switch your covered family member if you have additional eligible family members.  If you do not have any additional eligible family members, you may decrease enrollment to Self Only.

The two exceptions that would allow your child to keep his/her own enrollment are if:

  • your child has his/her own family (spouse and/or children) that your child chooses to cover under his/her Self Plus One or Self and Family enrollment; or
  • your child lives outside the coverage area of your plan.

Please contact your Human Resources Office for more information.

Dental or Vision

Because your child is no longer dependent on you for support, he or she cannot be covered as an eligible dependent under your FEDVIP enrollment.

If you have him/her listed as your "One" under a Self Plus One enrollment or under your Self and Family enrollment, you must remove him or her from your FEDVIP enrollment immediately through your BENEFEDS account at However, please know even if you do not remove him/her from your account, he/she is not covered, and you are responsible for any benefits paid in error on his/her behalf.

If the employment means your coverage should now be a Self Only or Self Plus One enrollment, you can decrease your enrollment type from 31 days before to 60 days after your child's date of hire as a "Qualifying Life Event" at Don't miss these dates, or you will have to wait until the next Federal Benefits Open Season to make the change and may be paying a higher premium for coverage you cannot use.

If you do not have access to a computer, call BENEFEDS at 1-877-888-FEDS (3337), TTY 1-877-889-5680.


Your child is eligible for your Option-C coverage even though s/he is a Federal employee.

Flexible Spending Accounts

This event does not allow you to enroll in FSAFEDS or change a current election.

Long Term Care

As a new Federal employee age 18 or older, he/she can apply for coverage under the FLTCIP within 60 days of starting work, using the Abbreviated Underwriting Application.

Control Panel