Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Guide Me
Skip to main content

Guide Me

Federal Employees


Choose a program to begin:


As a Federal employee, you may be able to enroll in health, dental, vision and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and apply for long term care insurance. You can find information about each program by clicking on one of the links below. Each section includes common questions to help guide you to the information you need. Learn More


Eligible employees and annuitants can choose among 7 nationwide and 5 regional dental plans. Nationwide plans also offer international coverage. Learn More


Eligible employees and annuitants can choose among 5 nationwide vision plans. Nationwide plans also offer international coverage. Learn More


We offer the largest group life insurance program in the world, covering employees, retirees and family members. Learn More

Flexible Spending Accounts

Eligible employees can choose to enroll in up to three different flexible spending accounts during Open Season. Learn More

Long Term Care

Most Federal and U.S. Postal Service employees and annuitants, active and retired members of the uniformed services, and their qualified relatives are eligible to apply for insurance coverage under the FLTCIP. Learn More


Can I continue my coverage if I’m called to Active Military Duty?

If you enter one of the uniformed services for 30 days or less, your Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) enrollment will continue without change. Withholdings and Government contributions will also continue, as long as you are in pay status or until your military orders are changed so that your period of duty is more than 30 days.

If you enter on active duty or active duty for training in one of the uniformed services for more than 30 days, you may continue your FEHB enrollment for up to 24 months. Or, you may elect to terminate your enrollment as of the day before entering active duty.

If you continue your enrollment during military service, you are responsible for the employee share of the premiums for the first 12 months, just like any other employee in leave without pay status. During the last 12 months of the 24-month period, you must pay both the employee and the Government shares of the premium, plus an additional 2 percent of the total premium, on a current basis.

FEHB law gives agencies the authority to pay your FEHB premiums if you are called or ordered to active duty in support of a contingency operation (as defined in section 101(a)(13) of title 10 U.S.C.).

At the end of the 24 months, you have a 31-day extension of coverage and the right to convert to an individual policy offered by the carrier of your plan.

Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for more information on being called to Active Military Duty.

Return from Military Duty

If you return from military duty after your enrollment terminated, but not in the exercise of reemployment rights, you must (if eligible for coverage) elect to enroll within 60 days after returning to civilian duty, the same as a new employee.

If you exercise reemployment rights on your return from military duty, your terminated enrollment will be reinstated effective on the day you return to civilian duty (the same date of the restoration action shown on SF 50, Notification of Personnel Action) and is not retroactive to the date you separated from military service. If you return to civilian duty in the exercise of reemployment rights, you may change your reinstated enrollment from Self Only or Self Plus One to Self and Family, and to either option of any plan available, within 60 days after you return to civilian service.

If you have coverage under transitional TRICARE for 180 days after your discharge, your agency can postpone automatic reinstatement of FEHB coverage until your transitional TRICARE ends. You will need to sign a Waiver of Immediate Reinstatement of FEHB which is available through your Human Resources office.

Please see our Frequently Asked Questions for more information on returning from Active Military Duty.

You can find additional information on Military Service on our website.

Related Questions

Control Panel