Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Guide Me
Skip to main content

Guide Me

Federal Employees


Choose a program to begin:


As a Federal employee, you may be able to enroll in health, dental, vision and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and apply for long term care insurance. You can find information about each program by clicking on one of the links below. Each section includes common questions to help guide you to the information you need. Learn More


Eligible employees and annuitants can choose among 7 nationwide and 5 regional dental plans. Nationwide plans also offer international coverage. Learn More


Eligible employees and annuitants can choose among 5 nationwide vision plans. Nationwide plans also offer international coverage. Learn More


We offer the largest group life insurance program in the world, covering employees, retirees and family members. Learn More

Flexible Spending Accounts

Eligible employees can choose to enroll in up to three different flexible spending accounts during Open Season. Learn More

Long Term Care

Most Federal and U.S. Postal Service employees and annuitants, active and retired members of the uniformed services, and their qualified relatives are eligible to apply for insurance coverage under the FLTCIP. Learn More


Can I continue coverage into retirement?

When you retire, you are eligible to continue Basic and Optional (if applicable) insurance - or have it reinstated - if you meet all of the following requirements:

  • you are entitled to retire on an immediate annuity (or under Section 8413 [Immediate Retirement under FERS] or 8414 [Early Retirement under FERS] of title 5, U.S. Code) under a retirement system for civilian employees;
  • you have been insured for the 5 years of service immediately before the date your annuity starts, or for the full period(s) of service during which you were eligible to be insured if less than 5 years (called the "all opportunity" requirement); and
  • you have not converted your life insurance coverage to an individual policy or if you have already converted the coverage, you cancel the converted policy.

To cancel the converted policy, contact the insurance company and ask to cancel the policy. That company will send you a refund of any premiums you already paid for the converted policy.

Related Questions

Control Panel