Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites. / Insurance / Guide Me
Skip to main content

Guide Me

Federal Employees


Choose a program to begin:


As a Federal employee, you may be able to enroll in health, dental, vision and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and apply for long term care insurance. You can find information about each program by clicking on one of the links below. Each section includes common questions to help guide you to the information you need. Learn More


Eligible employees and annuitants can choose among 7 nationwide and 5 regional dental plans. Nationwide plans also offer international coverage. Learn More


Eligible employees and annuitants can choose among 5 nationwide vision plans. Nationwide plans also offer international coverage. Learn More


We offer the largest group life insurance program in the world, covering employees, retirees and family members. Learn More

Flexible Spending Accounts

Eligible employees can choose to enroll in up to three different flexible spending accounts during Open Season. Learn More

Long Term Care

Most Federal and U.S. Postal Service employees and annuitants, active and retired members of the uniformed services, and their qualified relatives are eligible to apply for insurance coverage under the FLTCIP. Learn More


Are my family members covered?

Family members eligible for coverage under a Self and Family or Self + 1enrollment are your spouse (including a valid common law marriage) and children under age 26, including children placed for adoption, recognized natural children, and stepchildren (including children of same-sex domestic partners in certain states).

Foster children are included if they meet the requirements listed here:

  • the child must be under age 26 (if the child is age 26 or over, he/she can only be covered if he/she is incapable of self-support because of a disabling condition that began before age 26. You must provide documentation of this to your employing office);
  • the child must currently live with you;
  • the parent-child relationship must be with you, not the child's biological parent;
  • you must currently be the primary source of financial support for the child; and
  • you must expect to raise the child to adulthood.

A child age 26 or over who is incapable of self-support because of a mental or physical disability that existed before age 26 is also an eligible family member. In determining whether the child is a covered family member, your employing office will look at the child's relationship to you as the enrollee.

Ineligible Enrollment Consequences

"Any intentionally false statement or willful misrepresentation, such as including ineligible family members on health insurance plan, is a violation of the law punishable by a fine of not more than $10,000 or imprisonment of not more than 5 years, or both. (18 U.S.C. 1001), and may be subject to investigation ."

You can find more information about family members at FEHB for Family Members

Related Questions

Control Panel