Skip to page navigation
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Skip to main content

You have reached a collection of archived material.

The content available is no longer being updated and as a result you may encounter hyperlinks which no longer function. You should also bear in mind that this content may contain text and references which are no longer applicable as a result of changes in law, regulation and/or administration.


Office of the General Counsel

File Number 003506
September 9, 1999


Re: [xxx]

Dear [xxx]

This responds to your inquiry on behalf of [xxx], who was credited, erroneously, for service performed with the [xxx] and [xxx], a non-appropriated fund instrumentality. The error resulted in [xxx] accrual of more annual leave than she was entitled to and, on May 23, 1999, her annual leave balance was changed from 267 hours to 83 hours. You want to know whether 184 hours of annual leave may be credited to [xxx] account and deducted in increments over a period of time.

We do not have any authority to credit an employee with annual leave that the employee has not earned. However, 5 U.S.C. 6302(d) provides that the annual leave granted to employees under subchapter I, chapter 63 of title 5, United States Code, "including annual leave that will accrue to an employee during the year, may be granted at any time during the year as the head of the agency concerned may prescribe." Thus, an agency, in its discretion, may advance to an employee an amount of annual leave that does not exceed the amount that the employee would have earned during the leave year in which the leave is advanced.


Jo-Ann Chabot

Control Panel